Monday, October 6, 2008

Mommy Guilt

Am I the only mother out there who just feels bogged down by my daily dose of guilt? I call it "mommy guilt".
I feel guilty because I can't spend enough time with Sadie, or I'm not holding Sawyer as much as I held Sadie when she was a baby. Or, I'm letting Sadie watch WAY too much TV, b/c I'm busy with Sawyer. Or, I'm not being the wife I need to be to Dennis because I'm tied down with the kids. Or, the house isn't clean enough because I've got more important things to do. HELP!
Please tell me I'm not the only one!!! I know that guilt is straight from Satan and I despise it! How can I make it better? How can I let it go?
I don't want to feel guilty all of the time. I want to enjoy my day as it goes on, but I struggle so much with feeling guilty because I only have 2 hands!
I feel guilty right now for being on the computer when I know I should be playing dolls with Sadie. (although she seems perfectly content playing with my exercise band right now)...which leads me to another feeling of guilt - I feel guilty for not working out!!! AAAAAGGGGHHHHHH!!
Okay, laugh with me out there and let me know I'm not alone.
Much love!

4 comments:

Elizabeth S said...

Hi Anna. I am a friend of Rachel's. First of all, you are what I call "in the trenches" of mommyhood and it will get better. The second thing I heard from a friend, and that is to remind yourself that "It is what it is." She says this when things are just getting to her and it reminds her that as long as she is being the best she can be with God's help, she is right where she is supposed to be. Hang in there! Those kiddos are precious.

Rachel said...

Your not alone! I feel that way almost all the time. Work or Mc work or Mc. I feel like I halfway do both b/c I can't do either fully. I feel that same guilt your feeling everyday!

Unfortunately, I don't know how to get rid of it! If you get any good pointers. let me know!

Jennifer Aldridge said...

You are NOT alone... and I feel it everyday too.. And mine are 11 and 8. Abby needs my time more then ever... and Ally is just needy and now, I'm a newlywed. Everymom feels this way. Keep in mind, that you are still adjusting and with each day that goes by you will acclamate more and more.. You just have to believe that you can do it.. I believe in you. LOVE YOU.

Unknown said...

Dear sweet, precious Anna... Oh the life of a Mommy. Rest assured, this is a SEASON of your life. One that is filled with many ups, downs, twists and turns, and one that is harder than anything you have ever known. I, like you and any other Mom am always torn and pulled in so many directions that you don't know what or where to go next. Especially with multiple children! It's never ending. I often feel like I don't get anything done anymore b/c needs are so great at times for these little gems- but I am right where God wants me to be. And there must be a level contentment and realization to that on my behalf. (And throw in a couple of Mother's Day Out days which help tremendously.) My advice which I have heard from many, let some of it go- nothing has to be perfect with a house, or even with your kiddos. You will always have the what if's, why not's, and how come, and that feeling like I can't ever do enough... But just do the best you can do- God has certainly equipped you with wonderful tools of being a Mommy. I love your heart, and know you pass that along to your children. Your mission right now is to love, teach and nurture and I know that is just what you are giving your children. A strong foundation to build on. Hang in there girl- don't you get discouraged- they are getting plenty of lovin' from their sweet mama. Just do the best you can do... remember that.