Friday, January 8, 2010

Potty Training 101...ha ha ha


Okay, so today is our first official day of Potty Training. I've waited long enough! I know she will kill me for taking this picture of her one day, but I just couldn't resist!!!! I know so many people who just allow their kids to let them know when they are ready to go to the potty, etc., but I've learned that if I don't take action, I may be the first mom who sends their kindergartner to school in a diaper. Sadie is sooooooooo laid back and I just don't know that she would've ever invited this change into her own life. So, I made the goal a few weeks ago that this weekend was going to be the time. I wanted to get past the holidays, etc., and I've always said my goal was to have her trained by her 3rd birthday. So, here we go!!!
This blog post is mainly for me...well, for me and anyone else who is in the midst of potty training that wants to see how their child is comparing to mine in the process. I wish I had someone's blog to read and see how their progress went!!! I need some encouragement!!!!
Rachel Fontenot gave me her "method" on how to train Sadie. She trained her little girl this way and she knows many more that have successfully trained theirs this way as well. Basically, (to put it in a nutshell) you sit inside your house for 3 or 4 days and set a timer to go off every 20 minutes or so. When the timer goes off, you do a "potty cheer" or "potty song" or whatever and you run to the potty. Then, you require them to sit for at least 2 or 3 minutes and see what happens. If nothing happens, you go back to what you were doing, re-set the timer, and start over.
I had my mom keep Sawyer all day today so that I could spend all day with Sadie helping her out. He's going to be at my mother-in-law's house all day tomorrow too.
We already had bought big girl panties, potty seat, activities, etc...
Here is how the morning went...
8:50 a.m. - big girl panties ON for the 1st time!!! Sit on the potty for 1 minute right when she came downstairs...nothing
9:10 a.m. - Sadie told me WHILE she was already in the midst of pee-peeing that she needed to pee-pee so we RAN to the bathroom and she finished up in the potty...not a total success, but not a total failure nonetheless
9:35 a.m. - timer went off; sat on potty for 8 minutes...nothing
10:00 a.m. - timer went off; sat on potty for 3 minutes...nothing
10:15 a.m. - pee-pee'd on the floor in the kitchen - WHOOPS!!! (not sure what happened here)
10:16 a.m. - I was already getting frustrated and realized I needed to stop and pray for extra patience AGAIN...
10:45 a.m. - timer went off; sat on potty for 10 minutes...nothing
11:10 a.m. - timer went off; sat on potty for 5 minutes...nothing
CALLED RACHEL FONTENOT TO SEE IF IT WAS NORMAL THAT I WAS ALREADY LOSING MY MIND. SHE SAID "YES", SO I GUESS I'M GOOD.
11:40 a.m. - timer went off; sat on potty for 10 minutes...nada
WOW! THIS DAY IS GETTING REALLY LONG!!!!!!
12:10 p.m. - Sadie said she had to go to the potty, so we ran! Sat on potty for 3 minutes...nothing
12:15 p.m. - said she had to go again, so we RAN!!!! Sat on potty for 3 minutes...nothing
SOMETHING IS GOING ON HERE!!!!!
12:30 p.m. - said once again that she had to go...went to the potty and sat...played a game while she was on the potty and in the midst of the game I then realized something WAS happening!!!! SHE POO-POO'd AND PEE-PEE'd!!!!!!! YIPPEEEE!!!! Our first real success of the day!!!!!!!
Whew...at least I know she can do it...
Went upstairs for her nap; attempted to put on her pull-up for naptime since there are supposed to be "NO MORE DIAPERS". Well, that didn't go over well. She hated the pull-up, cried her eyes out, and I gave in...put the diaper on for naptime. Hopefully, I haven't completely screwed her up!!!!
Stay tuned...

3 comments:

Amy Lafayett said...

My mom came in town and did this with both my girls. . . actually they stayed in the bathroom most of the day sitting on the potty. .. constantly drinking and eating salty things to make them want to drink. Then they were already there when they got the urge to go. It was very successful.

You might try that tomorrow. . . lots of her favorite drinks and even some special drinks she doesn't normally get. You want her to feel the urge to go and already be on the potty when that happens!

Good luck!

Heather said...

Good luck Anna. I'm sure it'll happen soon. I'm going to be keeping up with this so I can get ready to do the same for Isabella in the upcoming months! I have a potty chart I can send you if you want to print it out and use stickers with it.

Anna Phillips said...

Thanks girls!!!! I have a few potty charts we've been using Heather, and they have been very successful!!!! Stay tuned!!!