Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Thanksgiving Weekend Update

This might be my longest blog to date, so get ready!!!!
Last Wednesday, I started feeling like I was coming down with something. I was so sad because we were leaving that day to go to my dad's in East TN for Thanksgiving. We left once Sadie got up from her nap and headed that way. Sawyer cried a lot on the way there. I had to get him out and hold him for most of the way. (I know, very illegal, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes) I was so sad to discover that the "Veggie Tales Silly Songs" Christmas DVD that I had saved for Sadie to watch was actually just a CD to listen to. So, we opted for some other movie choices and she was good to go. We made pretty good timing and the car ride wasn't too bad.
We got up Thursday morning and I didn't feel well at all. My throat was absolutely killing me. But, I managed to still have a wonderful time while we were there. I think I just had a sinus infection. My dad came and got Dennis that morning while we were watching Macy's parade and took him in the garage. I didn't think much of it until Dennis came hobbling into the house saying he needed a bandaid quick! Come to find out, my dad had discovered a little uninvited visitor in the garage. An opossum! Gross!!! The injury happened when Dennis was trying to scare the poor animal out from under the car so that my dad could shoot it! WHAT??? Where was I when this was taking place???? I guess boys will be boys. Always looking for something to shoot! (just to let you know, no animal was harmed) So, Dennis had to bandage up his poor toe. Basically, a HUGE part of his big toe was ripped off from it getting caught on the concrete. The layer of skin was GONE! Here's a picture of his lovely bandage job.

Here's just a sweet picture of Sadie and my dad when she woke up. She loves, loves, loves her Poppy!!!!

Mimi (aka my stepmom) has this awesome little desk that Sadie sat at all weekend and colored. She absolutely loved it!!! She's "reading" her morning devotional right here.

It was a gorgeous day outside and we had decided to wait and have Thanksgiving Dinner instead of lunch. So, my dad raked up some leaves and Sadie and Dennis played in them. Sadie had the time of her life!

Here's a great video of her playing in the leaves!

Sawyer was a bit of a handful most of the time we were there. I mean, he just didn't sleep good for the majority of the time we were there, which caused him to be a bit moody. But, I got some precious little shots of him when he was being sweet.



My dad and Cathy are the best hostesses. I don't think my dad came out of the kitchen the entire time we were there. He cooked enough food for an army and there were only 4 of us eating!! It was all so delicious all weekend long. Mimi was so sweet to let Sadie "help" her cook on Thursday. Sadie felt so special and I appreciated it so much. Even though she threw corn all over the stove, Mimi didn't care one bit. As long as Sadie was having fun!!!


I have to share the menu that we had for Thanksgiving dinner because it was by far the best Thanksgiving meal we've ever had! We started out with Tomato and mushroom bisque, then we had a wonderful turkey, dressing/gravy, fried corn with bacon, homemade rolls from scratch, creamed potatoes, green beans, carrot casserole and chocolate chip cookies for dessert because they are my favorite. It was AWESOME!!!
Friday morning, Mimi had to be at work at 4:00 in the morning. Ouch! Dad, Sawyer, and I went to Belk to do a little shopping. Dennis and Sadie stayed at the house and took a walk and played in the leaves again.
Friday night, we all went and walked around Gatlinburg. It was wonderful! The weather was great and all of the lights and decorations were absolutely beautiful.



Saturday morning, we attempted to take pictures for our Christmas card. This was about the attitude we got while trying to do this...

I definitely didn't get the shots that I was hoping for, but we'll have to make due this year. What can you expect from two kiddos that are so young???
We left after Sadie's nap on Saturday afternoon to head home. Sawyer did much better on the way back. We stopped at a Starbucks in Cookeville to grab some java and to let Sadie stretch her legs. She looks like a natural, doesn't she? And, yes, that is Sawyer laying in the chair. Hey, he had to stretch his legs too!


Sunday morning we got up and went to church to surprise my sister who was giving her testimony in a Sunday School class. She didn't think we were going to be there, because we were supposed to not be back in town until Sunday afternoon. But, I so wanted to be there to support her, so we headed back a little early. I think she was pleasantly surprised. She did such a good job. She has so much to share and I believe it touched many hearts. I don't think the Lord is through with her yet. I think she will go on to share her story with many, many people. I am so proud of her and I know that she is going to be so blessed. I love you, sis!!!!
It was a great Thanksgiving weekend. It was incredibly relaxing and I loved being at my dad's. Thank you Mimi and Poppy for all of the wonderful food, fellowship, and memories!!!!

No comments: