Thursday, January 31, 2008

Sticker Shock!

Okay, I hope I'm not the only new mom out there who has felt this way...

First of all, I don't consider myself a "cheap" person. I mean, sure, I love to find a deal, but I have never prided myself in only buying things on sale, etc. Basically, if I like it, I buy it. Unless it's outrageous, of course. I mean, I am a smart shopper, but probably not always as frugal as I could/should be.

Anyways, I said all of that to say...I decided this week that Sadie needs a pair of good shoes. She has really started cruising around, and I feel like it's only days before she is going to walk by herself. Plus, when she's at church and stuff, I want her to be able to "walk" around the nursery without slipping on her tights, etc. So, I have always heard that "Stride Rite" has great shoes. Good quality, good looking, safe, etc. I got a coupon in the mail for $5 off a pair of "new-walker" shoes, so I thought "hey, Sadie is basically a "new walker", AND she needs a new pair of shoes, so why not?"


Well, I'll tell you why not!


I obliviously walked into the store today and this nice girl came up to help us. We took Sadie out of her stroller, she measured her little feet, and showed me a whole display of shoes that qualified as "new walker". There were probably 20 pairs or so. All different styles, colors, etc. The salesgirl said that they were all the same quality and price, so she just told me to pick which style and color I liked best. I was getting so excited, because like any girl, I love, love, love to go shoe shopping. And, even though they weren't for me, getting them for Sadie was just as exciting! Our first shoe shopping trip together. I picked a precious pair of pink and white shoes that I thought would probably go with most of her clothes. The salesgirl said that they'd last at least 3 months or so, since Sadie's foot will continue growing over these next few months. So, she went in the back to get Sadie's size so that she could try them on. In the meantime, I dig out my coupon and am so proud of myself, b/c I think I'm about to make a great deal. I then decide I better flip the shoe over to see what a great deal I'm getting...that's when I about fell out in the floor of the shoe store!

Are you sitting down??????????? They were $47!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you hear me???????? $47!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me! A flippin' pair of shoes that are no bigger than my hand, AND are only supposed to last her for 3 months? Are you kidding me???? So, I pulled myself together, and when the salesgirl came back with the pair of shoes, I went ahead and let Sadie try them on and walk around in them, etc. Then, I ever so deceptively told the salesgirl that I would gladly "be back tomorrow to purchase the shoes." I know, it was a bold-faced lie. But, what was I supposed to do? Tell her that I couldn't believe that stupid pair of shoes was almost $50!!! I don't even spend that much on shoes for myself!!!

So, if anyone has any suggestions of other places to buy a good quality pair of shoes for under $50 for a 10 and 1/2 month old, I will gladly take the advice!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous! The worst part is that they do only last about 3 or 4 months. I've bought some for Mc at the little cottage. They are about 35.00. Also, the squeaky shoes are about 30 or 32.

The best thing to do is look for name brands at consignment sales. That's where most of Mc's come from. I've bought her several pair at kid to kid or forest hills that haven't been worn but are about 1/3 the price.

Laura Cline said...

There is a Stride Rite Outlet in Opry Mills. The prices for shoes in the $40 range are about $25 there. We've bought Sophie shoes there before. It's located right by Bass Pro (we're regualars there!!!)

Missy said...

Hi- Sara sent me your blog so my mom and I could keep up with family. We are long distance cousins. Anyway, I have a friend who works at Target. The shoes for prewalkers are made by Stride Rite(up to size 5). My daughter, Avery, loved them. They were great and cheap. Hope that helps. Missy