Sunday, January 6, 2008

On the Road Again

Those are the words that come to mind when I think of being pregnant again! I honestly cannot believe it! It seems like only yesterday when I was going through all of this, and here I am again, just a short 10 months after Sadie was born. Never in a million years would I have thought I'd get pregnant again so soon!!! But, we are so blessed, and so excited about this new addition to our family. When I took the pregnancy test, and it said "pregnant", I literally laughed out loud. I was in such disbelief. I didn't know what else to do. I kept it a secret for a little over a week, because I wanted to surprise Dennis on Christmas morning. So, for a week, I had to hide the nausea that had once again taken over my whole body. I had to hide the emotions that were welling up inside of me. I had to hide the excitement. And, I had to come up with a way to surprise him. I couldn't wait another day, so I ended up telling him a few days before Christmas. To be honest, I couldn't hide the nausea anymore. I just knew that he already suspected it, b/c I had been saying all week that I felt sick. So, I told him on Saturday morning before Christmas. I told him that I wanted him to open one present that I thought he could use over the weekend. He had asked for some pajama pants, so his first thought was that it was some pajama pants for him to lounge around in over the weekend. Boy, was it NOT pajama pants!!!!! So, I gave him the present and he opened it. This is what he saw...He immediately started to cry and jumped up and gave me a big ole hug. It was a very sweet moment. It was so much fun to finally get to experience the "surprise" factor of getting pregnant. Last time we went through this, everything was marked on the calender. Month after month, we knew what each day meant. This time, we had no clue what was happening when, and it was so much more fun this way. We got to surprise all of our family and friends over Christmas, and that was a lot of fun too. I think everyone was as shocked as we were, but everyone seemed so excited!
Since the last pregnancy is so fresh on my mind, I can already tell that this one is different. For one, the sickness is different. I am not throwing up nearly as much as last time, but I feel like the nausea is 10 times worse. It is so strong, and it haunts me from the time my eyes open in the morning until the time my eyes shut at night. It's absolutely horrible. Totally worth it in the end, but horrible at the time. It's like there is no relief. I feel a slight tinge of relief while I'm eating, but other than that, it's pretty strong. Also, I have that "metal taste in my mouth" that so many pregnancy books talk about. I don't remember having that last time. It's pretty disgusting. My pants don't fit ALREADY, and I'm only about 2 months along. I think last time, I wore my regular clothes until I was about 4 or 5 months along. Whatever!!! The food cravings are about the same. I want much more salty than sweet, and I want nothing to do with anything healthy whatsoever! I told myself last time I was pregnant that "next time, I will eat so much healthier". Yeah well...now, I remember why I ate so bad last time. It's because fruit, veggies, etc. make me want to barf. Unless they are mashed potatoes with lots of milk and butter...Yum!
Not to mention, this time around is much harder trying to take care of another human being! Last time, being sick was a great excuse to leave work early, come home, pass out on the couch all afternoon, and do a bunch of nothing. This time, I cannot allow myself to let the nausea take over. It takes everything in me to be a good mommy, but I just have to wake up every morning and pray!! I don't want these last few months with Sadie and me to be anything less than perfect. I want to enjoy every single moment I have with her while it's just the two of us. Her world is going to turn upside down when baby #2 gets here. I know eventually she will love having a playmate, but I'm sure at first, it'll rock her little world.
Anyways, that's all for now. I'm sure this journey over these next few months will bring many ups and downs, and I hope to be able to capture them all on this blog. Last time I was pregnant, I would get up every morning, have my Bible study, and write in my journal about the pregnancy. Since I don't really have time to do all of that these days, I want to make sure I have some records of "journaling" throughout this pregnancy, so that's what I'm going to use this blog for.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Congratulations!!! I hope you feel better soon!

Katie Parker

Rachel said...

They will love to be playmates. Jac's nieces are the same distance apart as yours will be. She says her sister in law said it was tough for about 6 months (well, what new baby isn't tough the first 6 months) But, they are best friends now and constant companions.

I know Sadie and the little one will be too!!!