Tuesday, October 30, 2007

What a Man, What a Man, What a Man, What a Mighty Good Man!

I just wanted to pay tribute to a great man whose 80th birthday we all celebrated this past Sunday. He won't actually turn 80 until December, but in order for it to be a surprise, they went ahead and had his party on Sunday. I think there were about 150 people invited! I am referring to Dennis' grandfather, better known to all of us as "Grandad". Dennis made a comment the other day that "none of us would be where we are without him". I have to say that I agree.

The legacy that he and Grandma started will be alive for the rest of our lives, and hopefully for years after that. What a wonderful family they are and I am incredibly blessed to have married in to. They are the most generous people in the world, willing to help out whenever is needed, and willing to just give and give and give. I truly feel that they have been so blessed because of their own generosity. Dennis and I always say that we hope and pray that we will be in the position one day to give to our own grandchildren like they have given to us. I am so, so thankful that Sadie has the opportunity to get to know these 2 wonderful people.

So many of Dennis' stories from his childhood involve his Grandad. I love hearing stories of their hunting trips that they took all over the world, literally. Grandad took Dennis to Africa when he was just a little boy!! Grandad has been through so much and he continues to push on. The man still gets up and goes to work every single day!! He is just such a special man that means the world to us. He loves Sadie to pieces too. Everytime she comes around, his eyes fill up with tears. He has always said that Sadie Jane is his most favorite name. I'll always remember that.

So, here's to you, Grandad...thank you for being who you are and for heading up a family that has shown nothing but love to me! We love you!