Saturday, October 6, 2007

Why Is It????

I feel that I will start most of my blogs with this title..."why is it"? because I ask myself that quite often.

Today, my question is:

Why is it that when you have specific plans, when you have to be somewhere at a certain time, your child always seems to pick that particular day to not take a nap???? Is it Murphy's Law? I used to be so confused by Murphy's Law. I used to never understand it when people would say "oh, that happened because of Murphy's Law", or "Murphy's Law this..." or Murphy's Law that"... I mean, who in the world is Murphy anyways?

I said all of that to say...Sadie has finally been sleeping good. The past few days, she's been napping great and sleeping good at night. This morning, she woke up fairly early, but took a great morning nap. Our day was going so great. I kept holding my breath all day because I knew we had to be at Ella Claire Fontenot's birthday party at 4:00. But, the day started out so perfectly. I was actually thanking God silently all day for letting Sadie wake up this morning when she did, even if it was a little earlier than I would've liked. I thanked Him for letting her take such a great morning nap. I thanked Him that she was such a good girl when we ran some errands. I thanked Him right after I put her down for her afternoon nap. She went down so good! Then, I should've known...after about an hour she woke up crying. Which, is fairly normal, I suppose. I usually can go up there and get her, rock her for about 5 minutes, and she'll go back to sleep for another hour, sometimes longer. This has gone on for weeks. She's been taking 2 and 1/2 to 3 hour naps in the afternoons. Praise Jesus! But, of course, today, she decided she didn't want to go back to sleep. I rocked, and I rocked, and I rocked, and I rocked...well, you get the point. Then, she went from sweetly staring at me while I rocked her to absolutely screaming her lungs out at me, because I guess she thought (knew) I was trying to make her sleep.

So, inside, I start to panic...I'm thinking...why today, Lord? You know we have to leave in a little while to go to this party! So, after about 40 minutes, I gave up.

She won the battle.

Sadie = one point
Mommy = zero

So, we go to the party, and although she was attached to my hip as usual, she seemed to have a good time watching everyone and swinging on the dolphin swing. She was doing great until I put her in the zip-line swing and knocked her head on it. Go mom!











Doesn't it always happen that way? It's always on a day that you have something you have to do. If we had nothing to do today, she probably would've slept for hours! So, THANKS A LOT Murphy...whoever you are!


I said all of that to say that in the grand scheme of things, does it really matter? When I held her in my arms tonight, and my heart was filled with joy, I completely forgot the happenings of earlier this afternoon during "naptime". I am learning to not let myself get so upset over the small things. It's hard, because I'm a huge planner-type A-freak. But, I'm learning everyday.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

um, they have a sixth sense that tells them when it is "important" to be bad girls!