Thursday, October 4, 2012

A "First" for us - Parent/Teacher Conference


Okay, this blog comes with a WARNING! I am going to brag on my child. I never get on Facebook and brag all over my children. But, since this is my own personal blog that I use as my "journal", I am allowed to brag on my kids without feeling guilty! And, I want to document these things so that Sadie can look back on them one day!

We had our first Parent/Teacher conference yesterday with Sadie's Kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Lankford. I will admit...I was a nervous wreck! I know that Sadie loves school, but since I've never had a conference with any of her teachers in the past, I had no clue what to expect! Was she going to tell me that Sadie is WAY behind in everything? Was she going to say that Sadie never follows directions? Sadie was never "tested" before she got accepted into Goodpasture because everything was so last minute, so I had no idea if she was even "prepared" for Kindergarten. Anyways, I said all of that to say, I was a little bit nervous! Okay, a LOT nervous!

As soon as Dennis and I sat down, her teacher said that it was going to be a very easy conference about Sadie. Whew! Immediate R-E-L-I-E-F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She began to show us all of Sadie's assessments; reading, writing, memory, math (I didn't even know she was doing math!), etc.

Mrs. Lankford said that Sadie's handwriting is perfect. Perfect. What parent doesn't want to hear that something their child is doing is "perfect". Smile. :)
She said that she got a 100 on her math test. Test? I didn't know that they took tests in Kindergarten! She's memorized and recited all but 1 of her Bible verses that they learn every week. And, Mrs. Lankford thinks that she just got shy during that one verse that she wouldn't recite. Who knows?
She's doing great on her reading. Praise the Lord! When Mrs. Lankford told us all at orientation that our kids would be reading by Christmas, I thought she was crazy! Sadie had never read anything in her life! I NEVER in a million years thought she would already be reading after just 2 months at school! Amazing!!! She is right where she needs to be and that is perfectly fine with me!
She follows instructions, behaves wonderfully, gets along with everyone, etc. That made me more proud than anything! I want to know for certain that Sadie is doing what she is supposed to be doing while in school! At least I know we have done something right as parents! :)
She said that she has no worries about her needing to go to Pre-First. She is confident that Sadie will be 100% ready for First Grade at the end of the year. She is right on track. I have always said that my children do NOT have to be the best in their class, or the smartest, etc. But, I DO want them to TRY their best! As long as they are "right on track", that's all I care about!
On a more personal note, she said that she is so happy to have Sadie in her class and that she is the sweetest thing. She said that she can't ever imagine having to get on to Sadie for anything.

From our perspective as her parents, we couldn't be more happy. Sadie has come busting out of her shell since she started Kindergarten. People who didn't know Sadie before she started going to school there cannot believe that she was ever "shy". Last night at church, Dennis took her to Kids Choir and he said that she went in doing the "Wobble Wobble" dance. What? Then, another friend went to drop her girl off in there and said that Sadie was up front dancing and had all kinds of friends all around her. Just goes to show how much confidence she has gained these past few months!! She loves school so much that she never wants to leave! She has made SO many friends that I can't keep up with them all. Her confidence has gotten much better! She doesn't seem as skeptical to try and do new things either! She still has her reservations, but she has done a 180 since starting school. As you can see from the picture I posted above, she is full of herself and loves, loves, loves being at Goodpasture. She is constantly singing, dancing, and laughing these days!!!!! We continue to be SO thankful that God has allowed her to go to school there!!!

No comments: