Friday, December 14, 2012

Tragedy in Connecticut


As I sit here, just 10 days shy of Christmas Eve, watching the tragic news of the shooting at the elementary school in Connecticut, I can't even wrap my mind around it. One of my first thoughts was obviously...what if it were my child?

My sister and I were sitting in Chocolate Covered Strawberry when I saw the information on my Facebook. I immediately started to cry, not being able to fathom if I heard it had happened at my kids' school. I mainly thought of Sadie, b/c she is in Kindergarten, and the majority (possibly all) of the students that were killed were in Kindergarten as well. Would she even know what to do if a gunman came into her classroom and started shooting people? Probably not. At 5 years old, these poor kids were just sitting in class enjoying their day. More than likely coloring a picture of Santa Clause or practicing math by counting Elves or Snowmen. Maybe even decorating Gingerbread houses, just like Sadie's class did earlier this week. These precious kids are too young to know that when something like this happens, they need to hide, or be afraid, or try to run. Their minds cannot comprehend what is going on fast enough because their sweet innocence doesn't allow them to know these things yet. I pray to God that it all happened so quickly...that they never had the chance to be scared...that their tiny eyes were somehow shielded from seeing their "BFF" killed right before their eyes...that they didn't even have the chance to feel the need to run or wonder what was going to happen next.

I keep thinking about all of those sweet older sisters who sat in the 4th grade of that same school, wondering if their little sister was ok down the hall. Or, that precious little brother who won't have his big sis come home from school today, which is what he excitedly waits on every single day. Be still my heart.

I just keep trying to picture Jesus waiting for each and every one of them as they skipped and probably RAN into Heaven straight into His arms, where they will forever feel safe and secure. Even if they were scared for a second in their classroom, they will never, ever feel fear again. He will love on them and sing with them and promise them that their mommies and daddies and brothers and sisters will be there soon.

Dear God, PLEASE have mercy on those parents who have lost their babies in this tragedy. I pray that each of them will see HIS love through this. Somehow. Someway.

I have no other words than these. Just pure sadness. Devastation. Disgust.

No comments: